employment based immigration

Employment based immigration allows employers to bring foreign workers from abroad to work in the United States. In order to obtain a visa that provides for employment authorization, an immigrant, in most cases, must be sponsored by an employer in the United States. There are some visa options where an individual can self-petition for him/herself.

The Law Offices of Lakshmi Lakshmanan, Ltd. can assist employers and individuals in obtaining:


H-1B / H1B1 Visas

To qualify, you will require a bachelor’s or higher degree (or equivalent) in the specific specialty for which employment authorization is being sought. It is the responsibility of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to determine whether the employment constitutes a specialty occupation and whether or not you are qualified to perform the services.


L Visas

If you are an employee of an international company who is being temporarily transferred to a parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of the same company in the United States, you will require an Intra-Company transfer (L-1) visa. The international company may be either a U.S. or foreign organization, and you must be at the managerial or executive level or have specialized knowledge, and be destined to a position within the U.S. company at either of these levels, although not necessarily in the same position as held previously. In addition, you must have been employed outside the United States with the international company continuously for one year within the three years preceding the application for admission into the United States.

J Visas

Students taking part in an exchange program, and those wishing to take up prearranged employment, training or research in the United States under an officially approved program sponsored by an educational or other nonprofit institution, require exchange visitor (J-1) visas.

O Visas

For persons with extraordinary ability or achievement in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or extraordinary recognized achievements in the motion picture and television fields, demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim, to work in their field of expertise. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.

P Visas

To perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete or as a member of an entertainment group. Requires an internationally recognized level of sustained performance. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.

R Visas

Religious ministers or workers may qualify for the religious worker classification “R” visa if, for the two years immediately preceding the time of application, they have been a member of a religious denomination which has a bona fide nonprofit religious organization in the United States. Bona fide religious organizations in the United States must have tax exempt status as an organization described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

TN Visas

Canadians and Mexicans may be eligible to work in the United States as NAFTA professionals under several conditions. With some exceptions, each profession requires a baccalaureate degree as an entry-level requirement. If a baccalaureate is required, experience cannot be substituted for that degree.

Lawful Permanent Resident

Individuals may be granted to permanently reside within the United States through an employer’s sponsorship or through a self-petition, in certain instances. Lawful permanent residents may apply to become U.S. citizens once they meet certain eligibility requirements.

In addition to the above listed visas, the Chicago area Law Offices of Lakshmi Lakshmanan, Ltd. can assist you with a variety of other employment-based visas.

Please contact our office to schedule a consultation to review your employment-based immigration visa options.

Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

We are available for both in-person and telephone consultations


(847) 868-2550


10024 Skokie Boulevard
Suite 316
Skokie, IL 60077


Disclaimer: The legal information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship.